A 14th century reverse-edged falchion

This falchion is based upon (but not directly copying) the two surviving falchions of this type found in the Legersmuseum, Delft, and the Musée de l'Armée, Paris. It was produced as part of the ongoing research work into Medieval European single-edged weapons, for a better understanding of the type F2 blade form.

This distinctive type can be dated with a high degree of precision due to its short period of use. First appearing in manuscript illuminations and marginalia around the 1300’s, they appear to have remained in use for only about 50 years, with the last depictions of their distinctive shape being found in the 1370’s.

The handmade blade of EN45 carbon steel features an unusual medial taper, rather than the conventional distal taper of most swords; measured in cross-section, the blade thickness narrows towards the widest point of the profile, before flaring outwards to form a reinforced tip suited to thrusting into targets. Likewise it features an unusual asymmetric fuller, on one side only, a feature to be found on the example in the Legersmuseum, Delft.

The blade is marked with a cross potent within a circle, inlaid with 24-carat gold wire. The pommel is hand-cast in bronze.

Dimensions:
Overall: 882mm.
Blade length: 726mm.
Cross width: 186mm.
Balance point 110mm from cross.
Weight: 1131g.